Wednesday, May 27, 2009

So What's New With MRR?

Good question, thanks for asking. Sorry to anyone who regularly checks the blog for the long period of… nothing. Honestly, I wasn’t quite sure what to say, I don’t know much more than you do.

As far as MRR goes, it’ll be screening in October at the Northwest Film Forum as part of Local Sightings. If you’re in Seattle, you’ll have a chance to see it in a theater! After that, I don’t really know what’s gonna happen with it. There are still two more festivals I’m waiting to hear back from, so you never know, there may be another screening or two after Local Sightings. (Cross your fingers!)

Right now I’m turning my energy to another feature film. This one’s called Lauren is Missing and we’re shooting in July. I’m really excited about it.

One way or another though, I’ll make MRR available. I’m not quite sure what the best way is to do that or when it’ll happen, but one idea I have is to serialize the film and post it on YouTube (or an equivalent). What I like about that idea is that I can explore the best way to make episodes out of the film and I can probably include some deleted scenes that didn’t make the final cut. After that, I could make DVDs available of the feature version.

I still have some problems and issues with putting the movie out that way – Would the tone fit the format? Would anyone watch it? How do you let people know that the movie’s out there? How do you get them to care? Some of these questions apply to independent movies in general. But it does take care of the largest concern I have, making it available. A movie does no good sitting on a shelf. If anyone reading this has any ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Other than that, if you’d like the big screen experience and you don’t live in Seattle, please consider contacting your local film festival and asking them to request a screener from me. I may be putting submissions, and by submissions I mean submission fees, on hold until I finish Lauren is Missing, but I’d be happy to send off a copy to any interested programmers out there.

No comments: