Friday, October 17, 2008

Local Sightings Panel at the NWFF.


So I'm trying to find the best settings to export the new color timed version of the trailer (Will we even be able to tell the difference after it's gone through the YouTube grinder?) and thought that it would be a good time to post about the great time I had talking about MRR at the Film Forum.

Before I forget, the panel was called "Works In Progress," part of the In Conversation series of panels at the Local Sightings Festival that the Northwest Film Forum puts on every year. I have to admit, I was really nervous going into it. I tried not to think about it too much except to take comfort in the fact that alcohol would available. Before things got underway Adam Sekuler, Programing Director for the Film Forum and moderator of the panel, introduced himself and greatly put me at ease, giving me a chance to ease into the Q and A exchange. Once we were in the lounge where the panel was to take place everything came together.

The footage, which consisted of a truncated version of one of the film's central scenes and the freshly color timed trailer (by extraordinary filmmaker Ryan Adams, our Post Production Supervisor, Color Timer and Guardian Angel) looked fantastic on the big screen even though it was just projected off of a DVD. People seemed genuine interested in the project and had a lot of good questions. There wasn't the awkward silence I had feared.

Of course, it also helped that my outstanding panel mates, Lynn Shelton and Jason Ryan were sharing footage from their films. Jason showed a clip from Ugly (Is a Movie), which he is currently seeking finishing funds for. Lynn showed a clip from her latest, the eagerly anticipated Hump Day which looks like it will be just as much fun as her previous films. All three of us had different approaches and stories and on my end it was fascinating to just to listen to Lynn and Jason talk about their adventures. In short, it was a blast, I had an amazing time and the exhilaration of the whole thing left me high for days afterwards propelling me head first and newly energized into the last round of edits to the film.

As far as first introductions go, introducing The Mountain, The River and The Road to the public for the first time, it was a great experience.

Finally, I want to thank Dave Hanagan for thinking of me and this film while assembling this panel, it was an honor to be a part of it and I had a blast! Also, a big thanks to Lynn Shelton and Jason Ryan for being delightful panel-mates. Last but not least, thanks to everyone who came out in support of local filmmakers - especially those who helped out on MRR! ; )

No comments: